By Garry Knighton
Church of Christ/North - Shreveport, La.
Expository: Hebrews 10:19-39
Much has been said about unfaithfulness and much will be said until the
Often we state something to be wrong without giving REASONS for it to be
C. There are specific reasons given in the Bible for remaining faithful.
Today, let's answer the question, "Why should I remain faithful" with some
I. I HAVE BOLDNESS OF PRAYER THROUGH JESUS - V. 19-20.
A. Already proven - Hebrews 4:14-16.
1. The only way prayer can be offered is through Jesus.
2. Because of Jesus' incarnate life - death - we can pray through Him.
3. This is the reason we pray "in Jesus name" or "through Jesus."
B. "Having therefore boldness..."
1. Not a cowardly approach.
2. Recognizes our access to God - Romans 5:1-2.
3. Being in God's family makes God our Father.
a. Illustration: We can approach our physical father anytime.
My problems should not defeat me --- I can talk to my Father anytime, no
II. I HAVE A GREAT HIGH PRIEST WHO INTERCEDES FOR ME - V. 21-23.
A. Function of a High Priest.
1. Offer blood sacrifice on the day of Atonement.
2. The advocate for the people - (pleads their case).
3. Confessed the sins of the people.
4. The intercessor for the people - (go between).
B. Jesus is our High Priest.
1. Offered Himself on the cross - blood of the covenant
a. Hebrews 1:3.
2. Our advocate - I John 2:2.
3. Relates our confessed sins - I John 1:9.
4. Our intercessor - relates our problems to the Father.
III. I HAVE A FAMILY TO LOVE AND ENCOURAGE ME - V. 24-25.
A. Responsibility to my family.
1. Consider one another - think about the best for them.
2. Provoke - stimulate unto:
a. Love - help me love you.
b. Good works - (Eph. 2:10) - help me want to work.
3. Assemble together - ( not abandon ).
4. Exhort one another.
Question: How can our responsibility be fulfilled if we are not together
IV. IF I SIN WILLFULLY THERE IS NO MORE SACRIFICE FOR SIN - V. 26.
A. Contextually discussed turning to another system for justification.
B. How can we turn our backs to Jesus and then expect Him to save us?
1. If we appeal to His system, we must live with it, for it and by it until death.
If you fail to live right, you CAN BE LOST.
V. BECAUSE THERE
IS A TERRIBLE JUDGMENT AWAITING GOD'S
A. Christ' system is greater than Moses - v. 28-29.
1. Hebrews 2:1-3.
B. God is a God of vengeance - v. 30-31.
VI. BECAUSE GOD HAS CHOSEN ME FOR A BETTER LIFE - V. 32-39.
A. Don't give up - remember - v. 32-33.
B. Think of the attitude you had and keep it - v. 34.
C. Remember your assurance - v. 35.
D. Be patient - v. 36-38.
E. Be of great faith - v. 39.
There is no reason at all to be unfaithful in view of the great things