By Garry Knighton
Church of Christ/North - Shreveport, La.
The priesthood is an interesting study. A study of the High Priest
The institution of the High Priesthood - Temples, rituals, priest and High
1. Egypt - the High Priest of Amon and Thebes stood next to the king
2. Moses' father-in-law was a priest of Midian, possibly even the
In this study we will look at the High Priesthood of Israel and try to
I. THE FAMILY.
A. Aaron (Moses' brother) was the first High Priest.
1. Exodus 31:10.
2. The office was hereditary to the family of Aaron.
a. Exodus 29:9, 29-30.
1) Aaron was succeeded by his son, Eleazar - Numbers 20:28;
2) Eleazar was succeeded by his son, Phinehas.
a) Numbers 25:10-13 - the succession was fixed.
b) Three times spoken of as the "great priest" - Lev. 21:10;
II. THE CONSECRATION.
A. Recorded in Exodus 29:29ff.
1. Seven days of special solemnities.
2. Special washing and anointing - Psalm 133:2.
3. Must wear the Holy Garments - Lev. 21:10.
4. Must offer a bullock each day for a personal sin offering for atonement.
a. The altar must be cleansed, atoned for and anointed - Lev. 6:24.
III. THE DRESS.
1. This was somewhat of a double apron, having a back as well as
B. The BAND - (or girdle) - Exodus 28:8.
1. This was a wide sash made of the same material as the ephod, and
C. The BREAST PLATE - Exodus 28:15-30.
1. Four rows of three gems were set upon a beautiful cloth backing.
D. The ROBE OF THE EPHOD - Exodus 28:31-35.
1. This was a blue garment worn underneath the ephod. Apparently
E. The MITRE - (or turban) - Exodus 28:36-38.
1. This was the priest's head-dress. Upon its front was attached
F. The COAT - Exodus 28:39.
1. This seems to have been a white linen undergarment of the priest.
2. Besides the dress garments of the high Priest, Aaron and his sons
IV. THE DUTIES OF THE HIGH PRIEST.
A. Enter the Holy of Holies on the Day of Atonement - Lev. 16:3, 15, 33-34.
B. Officiate at the ceremony of the two goats - Exodus 30:10; Lev. 16:8-10.
1. One sent to the wilderness of Azazel.
2. One slain to make atonement for the sanctuary.
He alone could make atonement for the sins of the people and his house
D. Must offer the regular meal offering - Lev. 6:14-15.
He must share with the priest in caring for the lamp that burned
F. He must assist in arranging the shewbread - Exodus 25:30.
When he carried the breastplate with the names of the tribes of Israel
He alone could consult the Urim and Thummin before Jehovah, and
V. SPECIAL REGULATIONS OF THE HIGH PRIEST.
A. Must be free from bodily defect - Lev. 21:16-23.
B. Must marry only a virgin of Israel - Lev. 21:14.
Must not observe the external signs of mourning for any person and could
Could not let his hair grow long or rend his clothing as a sign of mourning
If he should bring guilt upon the people he must present a special offering
He must wash his feet and hands when he went to the tabernacle of the
He must abstain from holy things during his uncleanness - Lev. 22:1-3;
He was to eat the prople's meat offering with the inferior priest in the
He must assist in judging leprosy in the human body and garments -
K. He must assist in judging legal questions - Deut. 17:12.
When there was no Divinely inspired leader, the High Priest was the chief
There are many other facets of the High Priest, his character, his work,