By Garry Knighton
Church of Christ/North - Shreveport, La.
The character of Jeremiah has much to offer the people of the world
B. Many people do not understand Jeremiah. Some rarely even think of him.
C. Jeremiah was a young man of an age of about 18-23.
D. He led a life of great mental heights and also many great defeats.
E. Today, let's notice some things in the life of God's prophet Jeremiah
I. JEREMIAH WAS A "HAND PICKED" MAN.
A. Jeremiah 1:4-5 - "prophet appointed unto the nations..."
B. Psalm 139:14-16 - God chooses.
C. God chooses on the basis of His foreknowledge.
1. Acts 9:15ff - Paul.
2. Ephesians 1:3-5; Titus 1:1-4 - all Christians.
II. JEREMIAH WAS AN "OBEDIENT" MAN.
A. God commissioned him.
1. Jeremiah 1:9-10 - "...set you over the nations..."
2. Jeremiah 2:2 - "go cry into the ears of Jerusalem"
B. Jeremiah would have to face danger.
1. Jeremiah 1:19.
C. Jeremiah does as God says - 2:4 on.
III. JEREMIAH WAS A "WARM HEARTED" MAN.
A. He cried over his people in their sin.
1. Jeremiah 9:1.
B. He hurt because of his people's disobedience.
1. Jeremiah 5:19; 10:19.
C. Book of Lamentations.
1. Jeremiah cries (laments) over the cruel treatment of Jerusalem by her
2. Cries over the affliction brought upon them by Jehovah for their sins.
3. Cries because they are taken captive and their land is inhabited by
IV. JEREMIAH WAS A "LOVING" MAN.
A. He loved God and His people.
1. Jeremiah 7:25 - rose up early every morning to preach repentance to them.
2. Stood at death's door always because he loved the people.
3. Preached sermons that tore his heart out because he loved them so much.
A. What kind of people do we consider ourselves to be?
B. Jeremiah realized that he was "hand picked" by God. Do we?
C. Are we concerned about being "obedient?"
D. Can we say that we have a "warm heart" like his?
E. Do we truly "love" until it hurts?