By Garry Knighton
Church of Christ/North - Shreveport, La.
A. Read: Malachi 3:8-12.
1. God told Israel that they were robbing Him.
2. They were robbing God in their tithes and offerings.
Yet if they would bring in what they owed God, He would "open the
B. Giving is a much needed subject:
1. Our work here depends on your generous giving.
a. Discuss some of the work.
b. Future work.
2. Christianity was founded upon sacrifice.
a. Phil. 4:17 - "Not that I seek for the gift; but I seek for the
b. 2 Cor. 8:9 - "For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
c. Matt. 16:24 - Then said Jesus unto his disciples, "If any man
C. In this lesson, let's
look at Giving in the N.T. and see how we are to give.
I. GOD'S PLAN FOR GIVING.
A. God's plan will always work because it will be the ONLY plan.
1. He will always do what is right and best.
2. To say that there is another plan is to impugn the wisdom and authority of God.
B. What is God's plan for giving?
I Cor. 16:1-2 - "Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I gave
a. WHEN -- first day of the week. General assembly.
1) Gal. 6:10 - Christian do good all the time.
b. WHO -- Each one of you. (young folks too, learn it)
1) Acts 5 - they lied to God
2) 2 Cor. 8:13-18 - that there be equality.
c. HOW MUCH? -- As prospered.
1) 2 Cor. 9:6.
C. Let's look at the Jew's giving.
Counting the sabbaths, feast days, sabbatical year, and the year of
2. They gave 1/10 to their religion. (Deut.14)
3. They gave 1/10 to support their King. (I Sam. 8)
4. They offered the BEST of their flocks in sacrifice.
5. When they failed to do these things God said, "You are robbing me".
D. Shouldn't we be as liberal as the Jews?
1. They gave 1/3 of time.
2. They gave 1/5 of income.
3. The gave their best in sacrifices.
II. WHAT SHOULD OUR ATTITUDE BE IN GIVING?
A. Giving to prove our love.
1. 2 Cor. 8:16-24
B. Giving as a promise or a pledge.
1. 2 Cor. 8L 10-11.
You should make a pledge with yourself, your family and to God as to
C. Giving cheerfully.
1. 2 Cor. 9:7.
a. Must learn cheerfulness, not an accidental or inherited attitude.
b. Grudging is wrong -- but not to give is SIN.
c. Covetousness is idolatry - Eph. 5:5.
d. Selfishness shut the love of God out.
1) I John 3:17 - "But whoso hath the world's goods, and beholdeth
D. Giving with contentment.
1. Phil. 4:10-19.
a. v. 11 --- learned
b. Does not mean to be satisfied.
c. Be content to do something, even if it is just a little something.
1) Some think that they must do something great to be
2. Use whatever you have to the best advantage in service to our Christ.
a. Time, talents, job and money.
A. Jesus is our answer. He gave up all for us.
B. We must give what we can for Him and use it to the glory of God.
C. Are you really giving what you can and should?